Everyone is different, not every body can train high intensity, every day of the week. I am one of those. My bod needs rest.
I was on a 6 day training split but I've dropped to 5. I just wasn't recovering well. My joints were achy, my sleep patterns were light and restless and then I started to clench my jaw at night. This resulted in severe headaches. Not good, especially with the general LIFE load I take on daily.
I was scared to drop a day of training, what if that one DAY makes or breaks my progress? What if my legs come in small compared to the gals training legs twice a week? Why won't my body do what it should do?
I was being tough on myself, as most women are. My panic mode meant a serious chat with my trainer and we decided to up the intensity a bit on my training days but to take 2 FULL days off each week. No running, no weights, no Zumba, NOTHING...well expect maybe yoga cause we can all use a great stretch!
It took a bit of getting used to. I'm not an "idle" type person for those who know me. But it seems to be working. The recovery days have meant greater gains on my training days. In addition, I'm taking glucosamine in my recovery shakes right after I train. I'm definitely waking up less stiff each morning. I welcome the gym these days instead of dreading it and that is a great feeling.
Yesterday included a fantastic shoulder/chest workout. Try this next time you are training shoulders:
Superset unassisted dips (which I can now do without a spot yay!!!!) with single arm clean and press. I used 30's till failure (which did not take long) and then to 25's Thanks to trainer Paul for capturing me on his Iphone. Sneaky man...
Trust Paul to come up with killer supersets for me. Bench press throws superset with dumbell flies.. Crazy pain. Love it!
Today is long run day - 10 miles, I got my biggest loser show PVR'd and once all the kiddies are fast asleep, I will "get er done".
What are you training today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Today is bootcamp! Looking forward to it after a good hard leg workout yesterday with Ash.
ReplyDeleteWhohoo, look at thos muscles girl *catcalls* Love it!
Keep up the great work girly! :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm like you...I HATE taking an extra day off of working out, no matter what! However, I'm sure your rest days aren't even a "rest" with those cute toddler twins ;)
ReplyDeleteI take glucosamine as well and find it has really helped with my joints! However, I'm not liking the size of them pills!!
I did a run and a Navy Seals class today. Love my Saturday mornings for sure.
ReplyDeleteI know there are a lot of trainers that say you should definitely take 2 rest days a week. I agree that we are all too hard on ourselves and probably if we relaxed a little our bodies will respond better. So I am going to follow your lead and take two rest days and see what happens.